N's email 4/6/2015

area: Broadway 1st Ward (Houston, Texas)
zone: Broadway
companion: Elder Hobbs

This week has definitely been different. Broadway is definitely not Kingwood... There's so many more people here! And they're all outside! And they actually talk to us, or are willing to talk to us. Elder Hobbs is fantastic! He's such a hard worker and he's obedient. I'm so grateful that I'm able to serve with him. I'm also super excited to serve here in Broadway.

Because of General Conference (twice a year the prophet and 12 apostles speak to the church and it's televised around the world in many languages) we still haven't been able to meet many people in the ward. White washing (both companions coming from a different area so no one already knows the area well or the people) is super confusing. But it's good because it practically forces us to be humble and there's none of that, "Oh, we already knocked this apartment complex" or "We've already spoken with that guy." It's all free game! That's how we were able to get 78 contacts in 5 days. We were literally talking to everyone. And it feels so good to do so. Also, because so many people here are receptive there's so much less fear in contacting. So far we've only really talked with 3 members of the ward, one being Bishop Cruz, he's so cool! I'm so excited to get to work with him.

Now, Broadway is a little sketchy. It was an absolute culture shock coming from Kingwood. I think the worst part about it is that the sidewalks are a complete wreck. But, they also provide some sort of adventure feel in the city. Being here kind of reminds me of living in downtown Reno. I'm just glad that nearly all the nonmembers here appreciate us (missionaries). I definitely wouldn't go into some of these complexes without my white shirt and name tag.

Don't worry about Elder Hobbs and I one bit though. Because "whoso receiveth [us], there [Jesus Christ] will be also, for [He] will go before [our faces]. [He] will be on [our] right hand and on [our] left hand, and [His] Spirit shall be in [our] hearts, and [His] angels round about [us], to bear [us] up." D&C 84:88

I love all of you. But I love Jesus Christ more. And this is where He wants me. So this is where I want to be.



(he sent this extra little note to me) this place is awesome, don't worry about me one bit Mom. It's not dangerous, especially compared to all those scout campouts you encouraged us to go on.
Thanks for all you do