N's email 5/16/2016

area: Lake Houston YSA Branch (Humble, Texas)
zone: Summerwood
companion: Elder Ericson

This has been a good, and very busy week! Monday we got to go on exchanges with one of the AP’s (Assistants to the President), Elder Bond. On the exchange, we talked a lot about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. One of my favorite things mentioned that the Atonement is the WHY behind everything we do, but that so many people don't know about it or don't understand it, and that the greatest blessing we get as missionaries is to see people learn and apply the Atonement in their life.


Then on Wednesday we went on another exchange with another companionship in our zone. I went with an Elder who had been in Louisiana the same time I was. He’s been struggling a bit. We had a good exchange though. He's a great teacher, and being a little older than the rest of us, he has so much life experience with great stories. At the end of that day, the Spirit reminded me of something this Elder had told me on the first exchange we went on back in Jennings. So I said, "Elder, I remember on our first exchange you said, 'I'm not the best teacher and I don't know a lot about doctrine and such things, but I grew up on a farm and played rugby in college so I know how to work hard. I'm definitely not the most skilled missionary, but I've come here to work hard, so I'll work hard.'"
And he replied, "You still remember that?"
"Yes, it impressed me a lot. And Elder Keech (his current companion), is just about the best missionary in the mission to be companions with if you want to work hard." The Spirit is such a good teacher, edifier, comforter, and reminder-er.


Then Friday we had another exchange. I went with the Spanish Elders in Liberty. Something that really stuck out to me was how much their investigators respected and loved them. I don't know if that's just Hispanic culture, but I think it comes from how those Elders treat their investigators. They are so respectful and loving while still being bold and having a sense of urgency about the work. I learned more on that one than they could ever teach me.


I love being a missionary!


I love y'all. But I love Jesus Christ more. And this is where He wants me. So this is where I want to be!


Your favorite missionary, Elder Combrink