N's email 10/24/2016

area: Fred, Texas (Silsbee, Texas)
zone: Beaumont
companion: Elder Batista

This week was good!

We had a Zone Conference on Thursday and I felt the Spirit so strong throughout the whole thing. At the end they asked missionaries who are going home this transfer to bear their testimonies. I was the second out of three of us.

I said something like, “Well President, I don't know why I'm up here, I've only been out a little over a year.” (Missionaries who have been out over a year usually just keep saying “Oh, I've been out a little over a year” whenever anyone asks to keep from getting anxious about going home.)

I continued, “But I'm grateful for any chance I get to bear my testimony. I would like to start by testifying of Jesus Christ. I know Jesus Christ was born in Bethlehem and died on the cross. I know He rose the third day. I know He lives and loves us. And I know He loves you, personally and individually. I know Jesus Christ appeared with our Heavenly Father to Joseph Smith in 1820. I know our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ called Joseph Smith to be a prophet. I know President Thomas S. Monson is the Prophet of God on the Earth today.

“My grandpa would often ask me a question while I was growing up that has shaped the course of my life. I grew up in California and he would ask me, ‘If the prophet called on the phone and told you to pack what you can and be in Utah by sunrise tomorrow would you go?’ As a 10 year old I would think, ‘Grandpa, why would the prophet need a 10 year old...?’ But I also decided that if the prophet called, then I would go. When President Monson said that every worthy and able young man should serve a mission I knew he meant me.

“I am so grateful for the gift of serving a mission. I love being a missionary! I wish I had a count for how many times I have said that... I love being a missionary! I waited 19 years for this gift, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I love being a missionary!

“I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God. And I know God loves His children.

“In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.”

I love being a missionary!

I love y'all. But I love Jesus Christ more. And this is where He wants me. So this is where I want to be.


From his email to Mom:
I accepted the invitation to attend BYU Provo. It still feels right. Thank you for everything!